A manual lymphatic drainage is a massage performed by a professional to provide multiple benefits to the patient. Body and Soul Massage goes one step further, and offers a professional in-home lymphatic drainage service for comfort and privacy in the Marbella and Estepona area.
Lymphatic drainage massage involves gently manipulating specific areas of the body to help lymph move to an area with functioning lymphatic vessels and drain naturally. If you need a massage to improve your wellbeing, contact us and book your appointment.
What is lymph?
Lymph is a fluid containing white blood cells that helps fight infection. It is found in the lymphatic system, which is a network of vessels and lymph nodes that runs throughout the body.
The lymphatic system is part of the body’s immune system and helps keep the body healthy by fighting infection, removing toxins and excess fluid from the tissues.
Manual lymphatic drainage is often used as part of a treatment plan for conditions such as lymphoedema, sinusitis or fibromyalgia.
What is manual lymphatic drainage like?
Manual lymphatic drainage can be beneficial for people who have edema, as it can help to reduce excess fluid in the body.
Manual lymphatic drainage is a technique used by physiotherapists to relieve fluid retention and to improve circulation.
This technique uses gentle stretching and pressing movements on the skin to increase the formation of lymph. These movements produce a feeling of well-being and calmness, as the pressure is applied slowly and without abruptness.
It is usually performed on the face, legs and feet, as these are the areas where most fluid is retained.
5 benefits of lymphatic drainage massage
- Lymphatic drainage massage can help reduce swelling and inflammation that occurs when medical treatment or disease blocks the lymphatic system.
- It can help relieve pain and improve circulation.
- It can help boost the immune system.
- May help detoxify the body and improve lymphatic function.
- It can help improve the appearance of the skin by promoting blood circulation, helping to prevent bags and wrinkles from forming and combating cellulite.
From our experience we know that lymphatic drainage massages are very beneficial for patients with certain conditions, for example:
- Lymphoedema or tissue swelling due to fluid accumulation after breast cancer surgery.
- Rheumatoid arthritis, a chronic joint disease that causes joint pain, swelling and stiffness.
- Fibromyalgia, which in addition to joint pain causes muscle pain.
- Chronic venous insufficiency, when the veins in the legs do not work effectively, making it difficult for blood to return to the heart.
- Lipedema, common in people with a sedentary lifestyle, occurs when excess fat accumulates in the lower body and blocks the lymphatic pathways.
Post-operative lymphatic drainage massages
Another of the most important applications of lymphatic drainage is in the postoperative processes of cosmetic surgery, as it helps to accelerate tissue healing, prevents oedema, reduces inflammation and pain and increases the quality of the scar.
Are there other methods to remove lymphatic fluid from my tissues?
As mentioned above, these massages are a manual method, but in some cases mechanical lymphatic drainage can be used. For this, for example, a sleeve is placed on the swollen arm or leg. The sleeve is connected to a pneumatic pump that presses and helps the lymph to drain from the tissues to the lymph nodes.
Is lymphatic drainage massage risky?
In general, lymphatic drainage massage is a safe treatment for relieving multiple ailments, it is a gentle massage, however there are some medical conditions and circumstances where it may not be recommended.
For example, if you suffer from certain heart conditions, if you have kidney failure, blood clots or if you are suffering from an infection. If in doubt, always consult your doctor.
Lymphatic drainage at home with professionals in Estepona
In conclusion, lymphatic drainage has very positive effects on the state of health. This type of massage achieves therapeutic effects in diseases of the immune system, freeing your body of toxins and retained fluids.
We must take care of our health and our body and always do it in the hands of professionals. At Body and Soul you don’t have to travel. You can benefit from lymphatic drainage at home with professionals.